Horten microlight: project overview

Inspired by their beauty, a couple of years ago, I decided to design and build an own horten microlight aircraft, named “Schneewittchen” (“Snow White”).

With this blog, I would like to keep you up to date on the project.

Schneewittchen – a horten microlight aircraft

Schneewittchen is designed to fulfill the requierements of LTF-L, a class of very light airplanes with up to 120 kg empty weight. The requierements are quiet stringent, including not only the extremely low empty weight, but also a very low stall speed below 55 km/h (corresponds to 30 kn or 34 MPH). With the all-wing concept, Schneewittchen suits very well this class. To keep the weight as low as possible, I decided to use an electric drive (for example a Geiger HPD 10), as accumulators do not count to the empty weight.




Data and specifications

Span: 12.5 m
Surface: 16.6 m²
Aspect ratio: 9.4
Average chord: 1.5 m
Sweepback: 28°
Max. take-off weight: 240 kg
Est. empty weight: 95 – 103 kg
Best glide: 25 at 83 km/h
Lowest sink rate: 0,75 m/s at 64 km/h
Material: mixture between carbon composite and wood

Videos of flight testing the 1:4 prototype

Maiden flight

Second flight


Flying together with a milan

8 thoughts on “Horten microlight: project overview

    1. Yes, that’s the idea. Some small powered gliders with a monowheel manage to take-off without help, for example LS9 and Apis Bee. They have an approximate bank angle of 8 to 10°. The Snowwhite will have something around 7°. I have been told that rolling to the runway is no problem with 70mm inliner wheels installed at the wingtips, as long as the tailskid has enough load.


  1. you can also check by using a truck like the one used in south France to introduce the Swift handling to students : it checks pitch stability and shows how sensitive is roll as well. Could be a trick to use before taking off on your own or being towed on short distances even before this …This “truck” was used at Gap Tallard and the company called Bartair – same trucks were used for certification of hang-glider and load testing also


  2. if this testing truck solution interest you i can search here in France where is this equipement and how could you use it- Very “flying wing friendly” people i guess tey would be helpfull …if ever you are interested


    1. Hi Thé, that sounds like a great idea! It’s a little bit too soon to look for such a truck. We still have lots to do before we maiden Schneewittchen in any way. However, knowing that there is such a possibility is very good.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s