Today, the mold of the center section’s lower side was finally ready to start with the first step in producing the shell, namely the paint job.
The last days we applied several coats of SE 700 release wax (Bacuplast Faserverbundtechnik GmbH), one coat of priming wax and a finishing coat of PVA release film (R&G Faserverbundwerkstoffe GmbH):
After the PVA dried, it was time to spray the paint. To reduce weight and obtain a better surface, I decided to use in mold coating (IMC). This means essentially that you spray on the release film and laminate on the paint, in contrast to the old fashioned approach where you laminate everything and then at the end spray the final part. Thus, you have to choose very early the background color, which in my case is RAL 9001:
I decided to use a polyurethane based paint that binds very well to most resins even weeks after having cured (HP-Textiles GmbH).
In a couple of days we will start with the external face-sheet of the sandwich. The aramid honeycomb core is already trimmed and waiting for the face-sheet: